Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Newbie forum > Not Using Every Gear During Race? Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist
Page [1
Author Topic: Not Using Every Gear During Race? 9 replies
Tom Hrbek
(Group Rookie - 152)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #1 posted Oct 10th 2019, 18:40:29 Quote 
I watch all the race replays, and despite my driver indicating he is "satisfied" with the setup of the car, some races never even touch 6th gear. In real F1, to my knowledge, they use every gear every race, and tune it so the highest speed they expect to attain is hit at the top of the RPM range in top gear -- keeping the other ratios progressively shorter to maximize acceleration.

I'm working on FOBY-ing a lot of GPRO, but since a lot of GPRO is based off "older" F1 notions, I don't know if there is something to my suspicion that I'm not using the gearbox properly, even though my driver says I am.

Thoughts?
Stuart Foster
(Group Pro - 4)

Wales 
Certified: 
Like this post (7)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #2 posted Oct 10th 2019, 18:51:02 Quote 
I suspect you may be over thinking matters - the game is a mathematical puzzle, not a simulation. There isn't correlation between gears used in the live race and setup. Your setup is based on formulas related to track specifics (data's) and car/driver levels (and car wear). Welcome to the game and best of luck :)
Kyle Morris
(Group Pro - 7)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (5)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #3 posted Oct 10th 2019, 18:53:13 Quote 
The live race screen has only been around a few seasons compared to gpro, the classic screen never had gearings. It is mearly there as a graphic and has no indication to anything
Tibor Szuromi
(Group Master - 4)

Hungary 
Certified: 
Like this post (4)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #4 posted Oct 10th 2019, 18:57:14 Quote 
Just eye candy.
Tom Hrbek
(Group Rookie - 152)

United States 
Certified: 
Like this post (5)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #5 posted Oct 10th 2019, 19:31:01 Quote 
Thank you for the replies all. Glad to know there isn't anything to it.
Josh Clark
(Group Amateur - 80)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #6 posted Oct 11th 2019, 04:43:19 Quote 
Fwiw though, you'd rarely see an F1 car use 1st gear outside of the start and leaving the pit box. The pit limiter is even 2nd gear mostly. Some tracks don't even use 2nd :D
Tom Hrbek
(Group Rookie - 152)

United States 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #7 posted Oct 11th 2019, 04:45:47 Quote 
Good observation, Josh. I have often thought while watching replays it is a bit odd how much the drivers use 1st gear.
Josh Clark
(Group Amateur - 80)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #8 posted Oct 11th 2019, 05:05:18 Quote 
The torque on the turbo-hybrids is so insane that using lower gears for exiting slower corners is often worse due to missing the ideal rev range for the turbo, among other reasons like fuel saving and maintaining mid-corner speed. You'd usually only see a driver blip down an extra gear in a slow corner if they've cocked up and needed to turn the car in more ;)
Jasper Coosemans1
(Group Master - 2)

Belgium 
Certified: 
Like this post (4)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #9 posted Oct 11th 2019, 14:55:12 Quote 
That's only because since the hybrid era, the teams have to set their gear ratios at the start of the season and keep them fixed for the whole season. So 8th gear is set for the straight at Monza and won't be used at tracks like Monaco. Likewise, 1st gear is set for Loews hairpin and won't be used at tracks that don't have very slow corners.

GPRO took a lot of inspiration from F1 as it was around 2005, in those days the teams used different gear ratios at each track. That's why GPRO has a thing like "gearbox setup" in the first place. With that in mind, I think Tom's question was actually a very good one. :)
Josh Clark
(Group Amateur - 80)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #10 posted Oct 11th 2019, 18:23:24 Quote 
Quote ( Jasper Coosemans @ October 11th 2019,14:55:12 )

That's only because since the hybrid era, the teams have to set their gear ratios at the start of the season and keep them fixed for the whole season.

I didn't know that. That's really interesting and really bizarre...
Page [1
Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Newbie forum > Not Using Every Gear During Race? Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist

Reply to this topic